Glow In The Dark Paint For Plant Pots Creates A Light Show

'

'

It’s not the first time

I have shown you guys glow-in-the-dark products. But this one image really got to me. Why wouldn’t you want glowing plant pots in your backyard?. Anyways, you can either buy them like this or you can buy the paint and buy the plant pots. It’s seriously lame when I cannot find the original source of the image except someone else who just wrote about it like me here without providing the original link. Take a read below this image for an important update on this post.

Update: Make Your Own Glow-In-The-Dark Plant Pots.

To achieve the same glow as those pots above, using the tutorial I made below is not going to be as cool as that image above. Apparently, people have tried it and you can simply read in the comments and see that the home-made route is no where near the same as those nice and awesome pots above. But if you want to buy pots like those already made, and that are very bright like those, the best way to go is to go here.

The “Rotoluxe¬†Vazon Magnum Round Planter”, is a planter that is indeed expensive, but it will give you the awesome effect that you see below. I think that’s a lot cooler than the image at the top of this post. What do you think?. The reason I am not including a link to the plant pots at the top, is because I cannot find them any where. The tutorial below is to give you someone glowing plant pots. But the planters directly below, are LED planters.

plant-pot Follow Me on Pinterest

It’s very bare. But it’s the cheapest way to go. I’d recommend buying an already made glow in the dark plant pot. If you look at my Google search I just did for all of you, doing a search for “LED Plant Pots” will bring you some cool results, and if you search for “Glow In The Dark Plant Pots“, you will also find some cool stuff.

I’ll warn you though, because a lot of these cool looking plant pots are super expensive. It’s pretty insane. So please buy at your own risk. Try to read the reviews and see if they are as cool as they look in the images.

*Warning*, after following this tutorial, you will only get very BARE glow in the dark plant pots. If anyone has done this already, please submit your own results to my contact page so I can include it in this post, with your permission.

I am no longer recommending the “Krylon Glow In The Dark Paint“, because people keep complaining that it sucks. The glow in the dark paint that is working for me is from GloMania USA. They have more colors available and once I am done painting my plant pots I will show off the results of the painting and will see if they glow as good as they are supposed to. They have an eBay store and that’s where I found most of the paint I’ve used so far.

As for the plant pots, you can probably find some at your local hardware store for sure, and for cheap. I noticed some for sale at a local dollar store, so be sure to check out those kinds of stores too, but I think they mostly sell the smaller ones. Your hardware store probably has better plant pots for sure. Just make sure you don’t try to achieve the LED plant pots performance in glowing because it just won’t work. So far my plant pots are glowing really well with the GloMania paint I’ve been using.

(Optional & updated as of March 22nd, 2015)

I have received a tip that if you mix some of this so called “Super Phosporescent Glow In The Dark Powder Pigment” with regular paint, you can make your custom glowing plant pots glow even more:

glowing-plant-pots Follow Me on Pinterest

They work by providing a non-toxic, long afterglow. It can be added in most non-waterbased mediums. The ones I have found here in the image above, go for $12.99 USD, for which ever color you see in the pictures. Not sure if they have another website allowing you to order even more colors, but this variety isn’t bad here at all. Orange would be your easiest option, since your pots are already orange when you buy them like the orange standard ones you see above in step #2.

But anyways, thanks Kim for the tip!. Other than that, if you have already bought the glow-in-the-dark paint then you may just need to add this stuff (provided you match the color right), to make your plant plot glow that much more. Remember, I have done this experiment already, but I didn’t know this Pigment existed so, it might just make a difference.

LED Pots:

These are actually LED plant pots, which is hard to believe how they could embed the LED’s into the pots, they must be slightly see through for the light to pass through.

Alot of these look pretty cool, and believe it or not they are real and not edited.

Price: $170 USD (for the cheapest Rotoluxe illuminated planter)

Via Piccsy & Rotolux¬†& All Modern <— This is where you buy the Rotoluxe planters (which are expensive)

(Visited 5,404 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

• Owen says

Hey there!, basically the cheapest way to achieve something similar to what these plant pots do (as they are very expensive) is explained two paragraphs below. The actual planters are made by Rotoluxe and the cheapest one is $170 USD. If you look at the “Customers Also Viewed” items on the same page in that link, you will see more expensive plant pots from Rotoluxe.

To achieve regular planters that glow in the dark, you need regular planters from your local hardware store (they’re usually Orange), then you buy the glow in the dark paint and paint them and let the planter dry overnight. It’s probably best to see if you can be satisfied from one coat of paint, see how much it glows, and if it’s not good enough then try another coat of the glow in the dark paint. It may not be the same exact thing as the illuminated plant pots from Rotoluxe but it’s nearly 1/4 the price of buying a Rotoluxe plant pot.

Or if you want to find alternative illuminated planter, this specific one is expensive but you don’t need to do anything and they glow at night. This one here is solar powered and lights up at night in the color blue. If you look further below on this article page you’ll see “Customers Who Viewed This Also Viewed”, you will see other products similar to that one that are possibly cheaper on the wallet.

Hope that helps!.

1. says

GBC Safety Glow has a small kit of professional glow coating for $69.00. We also have a great team to ensure the success of your project. No matter how big or small. Always here to help. We have helped lots of people make a lot of stuff glow!

• Decorative Soul says

Hi Jason, I looked around on Google for the product you speak of, especially on your company’s site. I can’t find the specific kit you speak of, but if you provide me the link I will write an article about it!. Thanks for sharing your products, I look forward to your reply.

2. Mary says

Hi love your pots, would it be possible for you to send me the details on how you created them.

These are fantastic but don’t know if I can obtain the glow in the dark paint here in the UK, any help appreciated.

Mary

• Decorative Soul says

Hi there Mary!, well the bright white ones you can buy here: http://www.allmodern.com/Rotoluxe-Vazon-Magnum-Round-Planter-10168-LXE1000.html

The pots at the very top are actually an image that was pinned on Pinterest, however you can make your own with that can of Krylon K03150 which you can get from Amazon, and the plant pot you get from your local hard ware store. Though doing this will not make the plant pot look like the ones shown in this article, these are special pots that are specially made with either LED’s or a special paint and are factory made to glow alot more fluently than the traditional home made glow in the dark plant pots.

I hope that helps!, have a great day!.

3. Pauline McCaleb says

I just want to paint some stones in a walkway like I saw online once.Will this work for that okay?

4. lillian says

Why can’t you a glass globe light fixture, spray it with glow in the dark paint and put battery miniature lights in the globe.

• Administrator says

Hi there Lillian. Right now I am testing the glow in the dark paint with plant pots, and I will be adding that post in the coming weeks. In the mean time, your comment will remain visible for other people to try what you suggested, I just got too many projects going on right now. Thanks for the suggestion though!, and I will provide some proof showing that this really works, very soon.

5. says

Hey guys…This krylon glow does not work on planters even painting them with a white base coat first…went out and bought 4 cans(even after the guy at Home Depot told me it really doesn’t work).i followed directions..sprayed several coats in a matter of 48hrs.left it outside to soak some rays and when night came…NOTHING! Those are LED planters and expensive.do your research and see the reviews (wished I did that first)

• Owen says

Hi there, the Krylon paint for sure doesn’t work, and I haven’t used it myself… I simply brought up the theory in this post and hoped it would work for people. Any ways, I have tried a different paint myself from GloMania, and their paint works really well. Will be posting my results of the paint in a few days, as I have been painting 3 plant pots with three different colors with several coats. Again, my apologies the Krylon stuff didn’t work for you!. I updated the post to reflect on what you said about the paint, thanks :).

Yeah, I don’t think anyone is willing to pay $200 for a “Rotoluxe Magnum Round Planter“. The reviews are apparently good though. I just have better things to spend $200 on.

• Owen says

Hey Amanda, I think I tried three different kinds from them, and the trick is to use 1-2 coats and no more than that, otherwise the paint will not glow at all. Areas that are slightly dark with a tiny bit of light will make the paint glow the most. Definitely stay away from anything from Martha Stewart, all her paint is crap.

In this article I show how I used the paint and which paint I used, all those details:

Hope that helps!.

• Kim says

Hi. I read about using D-TEK
        Super Phosphorescent Glow Powder Pigment and mixing your own paint, the more powder, the brighter glow. Mix powder in a clear solution also helps glow better. Have you heard of or tried this way? I found a pack of powder for $12.00. I’m just not sure what kind of planter to try. Clay, glass, plastic? Any feedback you can give me? Will mixing yourself make it brighter? I can’t afford $200 for a planter. Help!

• Owen says

Thank you Kim!, that definitely gives us hope at providing some more glow to these home made pots. I will update this post with the information you provided.

• Owen says

It seems that buying the LED-Plant pots off Amazon are the way to make them glow. Painting some Terra Cotta orange planters with glow-in-the-dark paint is power-saving, but they’re not as bright as the LED ones. So this leads me to the conclusion that the Solar Illuminated LED planters are the way to go as they get recharged from the sun, and are bright at night (no batteries required).

6. says

This is a website/tutorial that shows a project that is not exactly like we want to accomplish but my point is he uses the powder and resin (clear glue) and his project really has the bright glow we want. Of course it’s a video so we can’t be positive of how bright the glow but it looks very bright using the powder and clear mixer. Hope this helps. If you dint want to post another websites project I understand…just want to help.